Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Underby's

After field tests of the mark II Pengi deployment device, I took a walk through the city, eventually found myself in Clockhaven. I was bored and so decided to look for Underby's shop. I personally had never met the man, really only ever interacting with his lackey, Pip, but had heard a bit about him between his fued with Sixpence, his apparant death, the seance, is ressurection, Miss Macbain's reports, and rumors of the clockwinder's odd behavior lately, plus the fact he was apparantly flirting with my maid as she was shopping. I've previously stayed away, as some recent complications have been apparantly caused by a 'pale man', now however, don't beleive it was the same pale man as Underby afterall.
I had gone looking, figuring the man can't possibly be as bad as they say and Miss Macbain hadn't mentioned much out of the ordinary, aside from Tenk's visits. And I'll admit to feeling somewhat protective lately of my business partner. I finally found it and knocked, there wasn't really any answer, So, I pulled out my lockpicks and forced Found that the door was unlocked, and being the inquisitive sort I am entered.
It really hadn't looked too unusual, about as i would expect a charlatan fortuneteller's domicile to be. Charts, Astrological signs, diagrams, noting too out of the ordinary, aside from the large hanging diagram of the Kabbalah, with Astrological symbols interposed, references to the tarot, and some interesting notes scrawled on it, the Church of Starry Wisdom, the names of the local preists, Sixpence, Dizelle, Tenk's name in all capitals, Phaedra, Chronozon (a name that sounds very familiar) numbers, some of the sphere's in the diagram were circled, there was obviously something to it. I had taken out my notepad and copied the diagram the best I could to compare some of the scrawlings and phrases to my books later. Choronzon, the dweller of the abyys, and the Church of Starry Wisdom, their relation with names of known citizens of the city is troublesome. I beleiv Phaedra is out of greek myth, and am not sure how she is related. the term scrawled on top,'Ein Sof Aur, infinity? as for the Church of Starry Wisdom, last I knew, that had been a cult that followed Nyarlathotep, thought it's possible some other organization could have taken up the name. The circle upstairs was also interesting, it seemed to incorporate norse runes into a pattern taken from the book of solomon. Had I not left my guantlets at the plant, I could have taken readings. Underby must be plotting something, and I doubt it is much that would be benevolent to Tenk and New Babbage.
I quickly made my way back to the plant, to study my books over a glass of absynthe. I will send Miss Macbain a message advising her to cease spying on Underby, and assign pengi to watch over her in case he realizes who his cat is. while I still don't beleive his 'fortune telling', I do believe there is certantly more to the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment