Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Footman's Log Jan 30th. 18XX

I had returned to the plant, to find a small group in back near the cemetary, Gizzy, Sekhmet, Miss Buccaneer, Miss Darkfold, and even Tenk had shown up, before I could really get what the gathering was all about, an odd automoton arrived.

It was bulky, and the head little more than a block with a single spotlight/eye.
it looked like it was about to attack, but then screetched out a sound aproximating 'Materials'
I tried offering it the automoton parts I keep in storage, but i ran into the plant, and started to pull apart one of the generators. I fired my pistol at it, as Tenk hit it with his wrench, but it took Miss Darkfold's....um....tentacles....to hold it in place.
It continued to make it's noises as I opened it's head to see who had made it, and talking to Miss Darkfold of the apparant haunting fo the plant as I worked. I spotted a maker's mark, a Mr. 'Chess Clowe' who I may remember having met in passing. At ths point we were deciding what to do with it, when it's head fell off...and it ran away.

An odd night, but it then got odder. Miss Darkfold insisted on activating the machine and summoning the spirit she had been sensing. After she showed me a portrait of herself, that aged before my eyes, I agreed and we got to work. As she recited some rite, no doubt one mediums also use, I adjusted the controls on the machine, redirecting all the power from the generators to the machine, as the symbols on the copper plate glowed, Miss Darkfold's words became louder, until I could see a transparent form appear. it looked like a small child, as we heard the sound of crying from all around us. The spirit then rushed Miss Darkfold, interrupting her rite and knockng her over. I immediatly came to her side of the device to assist, but she claimed to be alright, and that the only way for an infant spirit to move on the the land of the dead was to 'be reborn, raised, and then when at the right age, sent to where it belongs' wich apparantly somehow meant she was now pregnant with the thing.
She asked if she could keep a crib in the plant, I have to admit babies disturb me, ever since I saw those demon cannable babies n the Amazon. I had told her so, then she mentioned lettng Underby or those rediculous preists take care of it, and I conceded, offering the airship over the plant, as I'm sure Miss Gizzy would not mind. This seemed to placate the squid woman, and she went off to build a crib.
So all in all much stranger than I expected, and I am beginning to question Keithen's mental state after that, but still, it proved the machine worked, now my next step is to contact a scientist of the old empire if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment